Making these mousse domes was a lot of fun. I was happy I could finally use my dome moulds again. I'll be buying my next moulds soon, but i'm not sure yet what form.
This recipe is definitely one i'll be making again for sure! In a different shape next time.
Mandelbiskuit: (almond sponge base)
75 g Marzipan paste
25 g ground almonds
100 g sugar
2 egg yolks
4 egg whites
65 g flour
1. Mix the marzipan paste with the ground almonds and half of the sugar until you have a smooth mixture.
2. Mix in the egg yolks and the egg one after the other, mixing after each addition. Beat until thick and creamy.
3. Beat the egg whites with the other half of the sugar until stiff. carefully fold 1/3 of the egg white under the marzipan mixture, then fold in the rest. sift the flour over the mixture and carefully fold until everything is incorporated.
4. Pour the dough on a baking tray covered with baking paper and spread it evenly.
5. Bake about 8-10 minutes, until golden brown at 190 C (preheated).
Chocolate peanut butter mousse:
130 g bittersweet chocolate (70%)
65 g smooth peanut butter
2 egg yolks
50 g sugar
1 1/2 sheets gelatine (softened)
310 g heavy cream (whipped)
1. Chop the chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl with the peanut butter. melt over a water bath.
2. Mix the egg yolks with the sugar. place over a water bath and whisk lightly until the mixture is rather light and your finger "prickles" when you touch the mixture. add the softened gelatine and whisk until dissolved. beat the mixture with an electric mixer until it's luke-warm.
3. Fold in 1/4th of the whipped cream into the chocolate peanut butter mixture. when the mixture is smooth, add the egg yolk mixture and then the rest of the whipped cream. fold until you have a smooth mixture. (don't fold too long!)
4. Pour the mixture into your molds and place the cut out base from the sponge base. place in the freezer or the refrigerator for a few hours.
Chocolate mirror glaze:
70 g sugar
60 ml water
20 g cocoa powder
50 g cream
1. In a saucepan mix the sugar, water and cocoa powder. bring to a boil over medium heat. let it boil for 1 minute. add the cream and let it boil for 2-3 minutes until it thickens.
You can test the right consistency when you add a 1/2 tsp onto a plate and till it. It should flow like syrup or honey.
2. Remove the mousse domes from the freezer or fridge, place on a wire rack and cover with the glaze. let the glaze set for a while and the decorate.